whenever i visit home or get in a ten foot radius of my mother, i balloon up like a beluga whale because she force feeds me all her delicious goodies and treats. my most favorite treat that my tastebuds miss daily is her lemon drop cookies.
in order to relieve my current craving, i had her make some and take pictures of the process…the pictures didn’t suffice in the least but i thought that i would share the recipe with you guys!ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter flavored shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
finely chopped zest of one lemon (i don’t always add this)
1 (6-oz) package lemon drops (i usually add more!)
2 cups powdered sugar
juice of two lemons, about 4-5 tablespoons
1. in mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening and, eggs; add vanilla and lemon extract and stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
2. crush lemon drops in a blender or food processor (or put them in a heavy ziploc bag and therapeutically pound them with a meat mallet while thinking of all things angry in the world).
3. add lemon zest and crushed lemon drops into mixture and roll mixture into balls.
4. flatten slightly with your hand and bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes and let cool on pan for a few minutes.
5. make lemon glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice to desired consistency. brush glaze over cookie tops after cookies have cooled slightly (if cookies are too hot, the glaze will melt).
…then eat (or gorge, rather), and fall into a deep, deep case of food guilt (…the remedy for food guilt: more lemon drop cookies!).